World Turtle Day is celebrated every year on May 23, with the purpose of increasing attention and knowledge about turtles and tortoises. Below are some interesting facts about these amazing reptiles!
1. Turtles are reptiles with hard shells that protect them from predators. They are among the oldest and most primitive groups of reptiles, having evolved millions of years ago.
2. Turtles live all over the world in almost every type of climate. and spend most of their lives in water. They are adapted for aquatic life, with webbed feet or flippers and a streamlined body. Sea turtles rarely leave the ocean, except to lay eggs in the sand. Freshwater turtles live in ponds and lakes, and they climb out of the water onto logs or rocks to bask in the warm sun.
3. Turtles belong to one of the oldest reptile groups in the world. Their origin dates back to the time of dinosaurs, which is nearly 200 million years back, which makes them significantly older than snakes, crocodiles, and alligators.
4. The shell of a turtle is actually a part of its skeleton and is made up of nearly 50 bones. The shell makes up a part of the turtle’s rib cage and spine. The shell of a turtle actually grows with its age, just like a human skeleton!
5. There are a total of 300 species of turtles in the entire world, out of which 129 species are endangered. This is because of constant human interruptions in their natural habitat. They are also poached by humans and are pushed into the illegal pet trade.
6. Turtles can be herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores in nature.
Let's work together to do our part in making sure turtles are protected!
6 views0 comments