World Bee Day is celebrated on May 20 each year. The purpose of the international day is to acknowledge the role of bees and other pollinators in the ecosystem.
Did you know:
1. Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey
2. The average bee will make only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
3. One bee has to fly about 90,000 miles – three times around the globe – to make one pound of honey.
4. Bees communicate by dancing.
5. May was the chosen month for World Bee Day because, in the northern hemisphere, the need for pollination is greatest during that period.
Now You Know!